Przejdź do głównej zawartości

"About Sound"- talking (01) - Why do You need good SFXes?

Sound Design is not a brainless work. It is obvious. When I hear or read quotes like: "Sound Design is an art! You have to be creative as f..ck!" or "Try to find uncommon ways to record/edit/create sound samples!!", I have to say - DO NOT OVERDO!
Of course I truly agree with this "Sound Design is an art", but sometimes don't make your work more difficult only to be more creative or uncommon. If you have to record for example stone throw sound, just throw a stone and record it! Do not be "unique" for every prize. Some effects are just meh... effects. Do not record stone throwing, by recording jet aeroplane on Zone 51 at midnight in swimsuit and pinata over your head. Remeber : the simplier, the better. Ok but I have to back to the main road of this post: Why do You need good SFXes?

The answer is obvious: good sound effects increase a quality of a product (game, movie etc.)

But I know you will aske me "Hey Chris, but tell me when the effect is good?"
Good SFX need to fills few points:
- The best sound quality (audio format, clean, not overamplified. without clipping, enough loud)
- Flexible as it can be (for example you can use sneaker_stomp as a sound of shoe, and later use it as a layer of another crazy sound like dead_body_fall)
- SFX must match with others in the same project (you know, different samples of hmm... human's breathing[I mean different persons... ehh teaching is difficult :P ] added to one character will break an immersion and will turn sound design into parody)

Of course some types of sounds are really hard to record/create without undesirable mistakes or clutches, but try to set your material as good as you can - it will help you in the future projects. And it will save tons of your time :)

See Ya,

Komentarze

Popularne posty z tego bloga

Tsugi GameSynth - Perfect tool that can replace human?

Hi Guys! I fought with  myself about this decision, but yeah... tomorrow there won't be new episode of SoS... It's really hard for me to do this, but I really want to create material with the highest quality content inside of my videos. Now I'm just empty with ideas for next video. I need to rework my creating system, maybe I will make a live streams? And then post this videos on Youtube and Facebook? I hope that you will understand... But now I'm so happy to announce new type of posts on my blog: Sound Design Deals! Sound Design is not only recording and creating. Good sound designer has to use software as good as it possible. But software is expensive as hell (I know something of it, because I live in Poland... Prices are 3-4 times bigger than rest of the world :(  ) . So I decided to put in one place most interesting offers for a one or two weeks. You will find there Kontakt libraries, standalone plugins, and many more! For the first shot I will talk about new

Speed of Sound Episode 06 - Skeleton sounds mixing

Hi Guys! Ehh tough week... tons of great projects, hours of mixing, recording and other works. But here it is... not so polished, but episode six is online. I recorded it so fast that I forgot to show you full sample of skeleton's death :D only you can hear layers... but I believe You've got big imagination. I need to go to sleep. But after that catch!

Ludum Dare 41 !!!

Hey Hey Hello! I have to say that: EVERY GAMEDEV GUY HAS TO COMPLETE AT LEAST ONE GAME JAM IN HIS CAREER. Thanks for reading! Bye. I'm kidding. Today I will talk about my sound design in our Ludum Dare 41 game called "Trishoot". Here's the link to Trishoot : https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/41/trishoot  (just download and play :) )                                                         (this is the shoot of the gameplay) The concept of this game came from game designer - Kornel - who shot an idea "Let's compare match-3 with shooter). Oh I just forgot to mention : theme of LD41 was "Combine 2 incompatible genres". So whole team loved the Kornel's idea, and we started prototyping. When I heard this concept, I immediately looking for the best audio solution of this game. Lucky (or unlucky xD) for me was fact, that we haven't any graphic artists, so (I did some sketches when I was young xD) I decided to make a graphics